The LCFF Calculator has been produced to the best of our ability based on the information that is currently available to our development working group, FCMAT and our colleagues in the California Department of Education. While the state transitions to the Local Control Funding Formula, it is likely that there will be additional changes in policy and in the fiscal application of the law that will affect the function of the Calculator. This, in turn, will impact budget development and fiscal projections at districts and charter schools. As those changes become available, FCMAT will revise the Calculator and provide the field with update notification using the new LCFF Listserve.
The LCFF Calculator, Calculator Caveats, LCFF Listserve Subscription, LCFF Online Help Desk, and CALPADS Reports & LCFF Self-paced Training links are accessible below. The Calculator Caveats link provides access to “Calculator Caveats,” an attempt to identify known issues, assumptions and unique situations that are common to this version of the LCFF Calculator, which have been updated to reflect current conditions. Please consider the information contained in this document when using the LCFF Calculator. The LCFF Listserve link provides access to our Listserve subscription page where three new Listserve mailing lists have been created. Each of these new Listserve mailing lists has been created to support dialog focused on matters specifically related to the Local Control Funding Formula and the unique application to school district, dependent charter school, independent charter school, and county office of education calculations. The LCFF Online Help link provides access to FCMAT’s free online help desk, created to assist in providing committed support to users related to questions pertaining to the Local Control Funding Formula. The CALPADS Reports & LCFF Self-paced Training link provides users guidance on CALPADS reporting data used in the Local Control Funding Formula.
Thank you to the Business and Administration Steering Committees (BASC), the External Services Subcommittee of the BASC (ESSCO), the Calculator Working Group, the Marin County Office of Education, the California Department of Finance, and the administration and staff of the California Department of Education for their support and work in the development of the LCFF Calculator.
The LCFF Calculator has been optimized for use with Microsoft Excel versions 2007 and later. If you are using an earlier version of Excel you must first download and install the appropriate updates from Microsoft in order to open, edit and save the calculations. This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 will provide you or your IT staff with the information needed to install these updates.
Note: v18.2d has been updated as of 3/30/2018 to allow manual entry of the EPA prior year adjustment and the ‘District In-Lieu Taxes’ tab locked. No changes to calculations were made.
v18.2d February 20, 2018
The original v18.2d overestimated the in-lieu of property tax transferred to a charter school for high property wealth school districts by the following year’s COLA for fiscal years 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24, and 2024-25.
The 2/20/2018 update to v18.2d is recommended if ALL of the following conditions apply:
- the LEA is a high property wealth school district
- the LEA passes through in-lieu of property taxes to charter schools, and
- the LEA is generating a projection for fiscal years 2021-22 or beyond (4+ years).
v18.2d January 31, 2018
- Upgraded the Economic Recovery Target (ERT) calculation on the Calculator tab to indicate and calculate funding at 100% in the first year of Target funding (currently 2019-20).
Upgrade to v18.2d is recommended for all LEAs that receive ERT funding. For LEAs that do not receive ERT funding, versions 18.2c and 18.2d will yield the same multi-year results and upgrade is optional.
v18.2c January 12, 2018
- Updated prefilled assumptions (Governor’s Budget):
17-18 18-19 19-20 20-21 21-22 22-23 COLA 1.56% 2.51% 2.41% 2.80% 3.17% 3.12% Gap Funding 44.97% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
PRIOR VERSION 18 HISTORY
v18.2c October 30, 2017
- The 2016-17 May Revise gap closed percentage on the ‘Assumption’ tab was corrected from 49.08% to 54.85%.
Note: School districts that use the ‘District Class Size’ tab to estimate the annual TK-3 pupil-to-teacher ratio progress must update to v18.2c.
v18.2b August 7, 2017
- A corrected ‘Calculator’ tab reference to Target level funding for LEAs funded at Target in the prior fiscal year.
Note: School districts and charter schools funded at Target must use v18.2b. All other LEAs may continue to use v18.2a and obtain the same calculated results.
v18.2a August 2, 2017
- Updated prefilled assumptions (State Budget):
16-17 17-18 18-19 19-20 20-21 COLA 0.00% 1.56% 2.15% 2.35% 2.57% Gap Funding 56.07679980% 43.19% 66.12% 64.92% 100% EPA %, Prop 55 24.75704809% 23.50% 22.50% 22.50% 22.50%
- Updated Principal Apportionment exhibits for 2014-15 ANR3, 2015-16 ANR1, and 2016-17 P2 and EPA exhibits for 2016-17 4th Quarter
- Adjusted the EPA calculation to calculate the prior year adjustment based on the 2016-17 EPA funding percentage assumption
- Adjusted the 2017-18 NSS funding band to align with the CDE
- Separated the prior year P2 target/floor funding determination from the current year calculation based on target or floor levels
- Updated CDS codes for charter schools issued a new CDS code in 2016-17 and their transition formula continues from under the original CDS code.
v18.1b May 22, 2017
- Corrected ‘District MYP Data’ ADA guarantee for school districts that experienced no ADA growth or loss, but shifted ADA between grade spans. Previous version completed the ADA guarantee with the prior year grade span data.
- Corrected ‘LCAP’ supplemental & concentration grant allocation calculation in initial year for reorganized school district or newly operational charter school. Previous version allocated target level supplemental & concentration funding in initial year when $0 prior year expenditures was entered.
- Added target component detail to ‘Summary’ tab.
v18.1a May 14, 2017
- Updated CDE PASE exhibit certifications and added additional fiscal years to create multi-year projections.
- Updated Assumptions (Governor’s May Revision):
16-17 17-18 18-19 19-20 20-21 COLA 0.00% 1.56% 2.15% 2.35% 2.57% Gap Funding 55.03% 43.97% 71.53% 73.51% 100% EPA %, Prop 55 25.40% 23.70% 22.70% 22.70% 22.70%